It is no secret that I love nautical style—just wait until you see the garage. I’m not talking too literally, like ship’s wheels and life preservers. I’m talking about weathered wood, white plank paneling, sea glass color schemes, and navy blue and white.
When YHL announced the winter edition of their pinterest challenge, I looked over my boards to find a project I could do. I actually found two, and both projects added a touch of that nautical style I love to our bathroom.
The first project I wanted to try was updating our bathroom vanity drawer fronts. Our vanity cabinet was actually an unwanted base cabinet from the loft at work. It originally was an ugly light beige color, but we painted it white to match our trim. As you can see, the drawer fronts are pretty nondescript, and they are not “full overlay” (you can see the cabinet frame around the drawers).
I had pinned Sandra from sawdustgirl’s tutorial for building beadboard insert drawer fronts, and I thought it would be the perfect thing to spruce up our boring vanity. She used her drawer fronts in her master closet, and it turned out beautifully. Her drawer fronts were inset, but ours couldn’t be because of the cabinet they were going on. That didn’t change the directions at all though.
I am not even going to try to replicate her tutorial, so be sure to visit the link above or click on either of the pictures to check it out. Her directions were super easy to follow, and I loved the results.
I started by measuring my overall cabinet front and figuring out how large I wanted each drawer to be to cover the whole thing. The top drawer is just a false front, so I stuck with just a plain piece of wood for that one. It would have been too small for a beadboard insert anyways.
Once I had my measurements, I was able to figure out how long to make my stiles and rails for each drawer front. A bit of cutting, routing, screwing, gluing, and painting later, I had my new drawer fronts. I used leftover Benjamin Moore Aura paint in semi-gloss and applied it with a brush in several thin coats. I love that you can still see the woodgrain through the paint.
Jerm helped me attach the new drawer fronts. All we had to do was take off the old ones, position the new fronts, and figure out where our screws would not go through the thinner beadboard insert. If you need more detailed instructions, I’m sure he can help us out. Here is a top and side view to show how they are attached.
I ordered some Lew’s hardware pulls from here for around $14 each. I loved the sea glass look, and the brushed nickel matches the rest of our bathroom fixtures. I’m lucky I only needed two, because those pulls were expensive! I splurged because the rest of this project was essentially free. We had all of the select lumber and beadboard lying around from a previous project.
My second project was a hybrid of two pins. I wanted to make a new towel hook for our bathroom, so I combined two pins I loved to create my own. We had been using this towel rack (which is more suited to being a coat rack) for the past three years. It served its purpose, but I didn’t love how it looked. The towels were too crowed when we had three hanging at once.My first pin came from Jaime at craftyscrappyhappy. She used old cabinet doors to make a coat hanger. We certainly have a lot of those laying around at work, so I loved this idea. I was able to dig up an old beadboard insert door from work to match my new vanity drawer fronts. Now I just needed something to use as hooks…
That is where my next pin comes in. I pinned this image from the hipditch house on houzz.com. They used dock cleats as towel hangers in their bathroom. I love the brass ones they used, but those were not in the budget, so it was off to Bass Pro Shop to find an alternative. I ended up using these 4″ cleats for about $3.50 each.
All we had to do was screw the cleats to the door and then screw the door to the wall. We were able to hide the screws we used to fasten it the wall by putting them in through two of the holes in the cleats. We would have had screws there anyway—now we just have longer ones holding it on the wall.
I love the new nautical upgrades in our bathroom. It is nice to make a little bit of fun progress after living with the bathroom as-is for a few years. I have a couple more small things planned, but I may wind up saving them for the next pinterest challenge.